Creating a branch other than master using bzr-git

Eric Anderson eric at pixelwareinc.com
Tue Nov 25 02:03:47 GMT 2008

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 15:41 -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> I am new to both bzr and git so bear with me. I am using the bzr-git
>> plugin to create a branch from a git repository. If I create a bzr
>> branch with a git repository as the source then it seems to always
>> branch the "master" branch on the git repository. How do a branch a
>> different branch other than master?
> At the moment this is not possible, primarily because a UI (convention)
> is lacking in bzr to access branches that are not URL-addressable. It's
> something I hope to add at some point though, but I think we need some
> API changes to be able to do so.

Thanks for the information. Seems like the branch could be appended onto
the URL somehow to indicate what branch. I've seen things like:

/repos/some_project.git/edge

Where "edge" is a branch within the git repository. This could obviously
be confusing though as the code would not know if the last part of the
URL is a normal directory or a branch indication but it seems like some
kind of convention like this would work.

Anyway, in the meantime between figuring this out I thought maybe
instead of grabbing the first branch in the git repo we could grab
whatever the active branch is. In a bare repository I believe this will
always be "master" but in a non-bare repository this would allow at
least some method of branching from an alternative branch.

I have attached a patch. I am a total noob to bzr, git and python (am a
Ruby developer) so don't know if this is the right thing to do but I
figure it works for me and one small change can't do to much damage
right? :)

Eric