Experience of centralized workflow with NFS-mounted storage?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Nov 22 05:18:47 GMT 2008

> For the record, I've been doing a bit of testing with working trees on
> an NFS mounted partition, and at least in my setup actions such as
> merge and clone are actually faster with NFS mounted repositories than
> on the local disk.  This despite the fact that the NFS server I was
> testing against has hundreds of active users and a load average
> consistently over 1.

AFAIK, the fun begins with NFSv4 and only really takes off when you add
Kerberos into the mix.  Seeing Bzr burp with some locking error was fun,
but being able to lockup my workstation solid was truly hilarious.

        Stefan

PS: I can't believe GNU/Linux still hasn't anything better to offer than
NFSv4+Kerberos for sharing home dirs half-securely and half-efficiently
(and not even half-reliably, it seems).