Experience of centralized workflow with NFS-mounted storage?

Mikael Karlsson mikael.k.karlsson at axis.com
Thu Nov 20 11:56:51 GMT 2008

We're setting up a Bazaar environment with a centralized workflow and we
wonder if someone have experience of having a Bazaar server with a
mounted NFS-storage where the branch data is stored?

Clients will checkout data over SSH from the server to clients like this

Branch data <=== NFS ===> Bazaar server <=== SSH ===> Developer

We could be talking about several hundred users checking out and
committing data and several gigabytes of branch data simultaneously.

The actual question is how file locking will work when using NFS? I know
it doesnt work with cvs but it work with subversion.

I've tried to find information in the old mailing list archive but not
found anything that gives me answers.

The obvious reason to store everything on the SAN are for availability
and security reasons and also to be able to make a quick recover if one
server fails since there will be a backup server in standby in case of
failure.

I would be pleased if the developers of Bazaar could give me a
recommendation if this is a good idea or not.
Also if someone have experience of this, good or bad.

Regards

Mikael