AW: AW: AW: AW: bzr selftest (on solaris 10): too may open files

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Nov 19 16:09:14 GMT 2008

    Bernhard> writes:
    Bernhard> Logfile "bzr-selftest-1.log" attached.
    Bernhard> Unfortunately a coredump happened ;-(
    >>
    >> Weird. Did you try to build the C extensions ? How did you install bzr
    Bernhard> ?

    Bernhard> I used http://launchpad.net/bzr/1.9/1.9/+download/bzr-1.9.tar.gz

Ok, so you're running from sources, good.

    >> You can try 'bzr selftest -s bb' which will run the black box
    >> tests, they are significant subset of the test suite and should
    >> gives you a better feeling of what parts of bzr are expected to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> I expect that most (if not all) of them should pass.

    Bernhard> see attachment: bzr-selftext-s-bb.log

    Bernhard> b = "diff: illegal option <snipped/>"

    >> Well, that one expects a GNU diff I think (reasonably recent) so
    >> it's not really relevant :-/

    Bernhard> That's the major disadvantage of Solaris - that you've to build
    Bernhard> all GNU stuff yourself ;-)

He he. Note that GNU diff is available for opensolaris :)

This should not be a major concern anyway since bzr use its own
internal diff for a long time. The tests ensures we still can use
an external diff without really testing what external diff is
available... well... not the main problem here.

    >> Can you tell us what hardware/software you're running ?

<snip/>

    Bernhard> total memory = 16384MB (16GB)

Yum 16GB :)

So, having setup a opensolaris 08.11 VM and python-2.4.4:

- I'm able to reproduce the 'Too many open files'.
- I don't get the "diff: illegal option" (because I use GNU diff-2.8.1)
- I do get the
  blackbox.test_remove.TestRemove.test_remove_changed_files_from_child_dir
  failure.

*and* this is also true with python-2.5.2.

Interrupting the selftest and using pfiles <pid> reveals that in
fact the open files are sockets...

I have yet to understand why this happens on Solaris and not on
Linux but it means that only selftest is concerned by the problem
and not should not have consequences when using bzr itself.

I'll run the test suite by parts to check which tests are really
failing and keep you informed, but the important result is that
you should be safe using bzr.

     Vincent