upgrading bzr.dev

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 18 05:59:40 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 17:24 -0200, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM, John Arbash Meinel
> <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> > I would be okay with 1.6, though it doesn't really give me much that
> > 0.92 does.
>
> dogfooding!  :)

Asking all our users to dogfood things we haven't changed to be the
default isn't sensible IMO. We should move things forward smoothly and
continuously, with enough lag to allow people that like running
'released software' to be able to grab bzr to fix a bug or whatever.

bzr is part of the bootstrap cycle; some caution and care are required
in moving defaults and requiring upgrades. Similarly, if the project was
apache, upgrading the main host to HTTP/2.0 in advance of widespread
access to an HTTP/2.0 client would not be wise. (But having a mirrored
server running HTTP/2.0 would be sensible to allow people to test).

-Rob