AW: bzr selftest (on solaris 10): too may open files

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens.com
Mon Nov 17 16:25:25 GMT 2008

Marius Kruger  wrote:

> > 2008/11/17 Voelker, Bernhard <bernhard.voelker at siemens.com>
> >
> >	           [Errno 24] Too many open files:
'/tmp/testbzrtmJGu0.log'

> >	I thought 256 should be enough.
> >
> >	       $ ulimit -a
> >	       nofiles(descriptors) 256
> >

> I had this problem with another program using java recently.

(http://amanica.blogspot.com/2008/11/javanetsocketexception-too-many-ope
n.html)
> We got around it by increasing the amount of available memory.
>
> If you are root you can also try to increase the limit and see if that
helps.

> regards
> marius

well, I'm running bzr on smaller machines:
  4 dual-core dual-thread SPARC64-VI 2150MHz cpus, system freq: 1012MHz
  total memory = 16384MB (16GB)

And I can't raise the limit: even if ulimit shows a greater value the
kernel does not let me open more files - I have to talk to my admins
if the Solaris zone the host is running in can make a difference,
but I don't think so because it's the same in the 'global' zone.

Thanks,
Berny