So many repo formats

Viktor Nagy viktor.nagy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:07:20 GMT 2008

Hi,

before some expert gives his opinion (that I would be interested in as
well), here [1] is a list of the available options with a short description
of each of them.

The burgeoning of repo formats annoys me as well as not being an expert
neither in bazaar or in programming concepts in general I can't figure out
what the descriptions actually mean (should I care about stacking?), and for
example is dirstate (introduced in 0.15) is still faster for local
operations then a more recent format (as we are at 1.9).

In general if I don't care about backwards compatibility then is it fair to
say that the newer is always faster? For local and remote operations as
well? Even if the remote is partially "local" (e.g. I have a repo with two
branches in it stored remotely)? Actually, I have the feeling that it's
faster if I commit from local to remote, then log in with ssh, merge the
branches, and finally update the local checkout, then do a bzr merge with
the remote url. (Of course, I've never tested this as I have no idea how to
do it, but if someone gives me some help, I would be happy to do and learn
it. :) )

[1]:
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-reference/bzr_man.html#storage-formats

--