[MERGE] Fix #296620 by allowing plugins instead of requiring them.

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Nov 12 00:32:39 GMT 2008

>>>>> "aaron" == Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> writes:

    aaron> It's misleading to say "allowing plugins instead of requiring them."
    aaron> Bzrtools is not required for the shelf UI to run.

Poor wording from me. I meant: allow plugins to change some bzrlib
feature (in that case colordiffs) instead of bzr requiring a plugin to
implement a feature.

    aaron> The bug, IMHO, is that --no-plugins does not prevent plugins
    aaron> from loading.

Yeah right, but no point in trying to fix that IMNSHO.

    aaron> Requiring bzrlib to never import from a plugin, even when
    aaron> there's a fallback, makes bzrlib too fragile.

bzrlib never imported plugins before, I see little point in allowing
it. Plugins are there to enrich bzrlib, bzrlib should never depends on
them. If we really need a plugin for bzrlib purposes, we should make it
part of bzrlib instead.

And I'd say bzrlib never imported plugins because that just makes no
sense, so it didn't happen (and will continue to not happen) because of
that.

I'm not a english native speaker but for me, plugin is plug *in* from
outside not plug-into-myself-from-inside.

And just think about the nightmare it will become to check and handle
API compatibility of the plugin from bzrlib.... so please, let's focus
on making it work well *from* the plugin instead of trying to allow
bzrlib to use plugins which seems pointless to me.

    aaron> Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
    >> Not extra fanycness, but get the job done: restore test suite usability.
    >>
    >> I don't really know how to proceed for the bzrtools related patch, so
    >> I'll attach it to the bug report.

    aaron> Because the bug is also a bzr bug, my mail client filtered it
    aaron> into bzr bugs and it got lost in the noise.

I think the bug is really in both bzr and bzrtools right now. I think
the patch I proposed for bzr is enough to fix the problem there, but the
bzrtools patch is needed to restore colordiff support when bzrtools is
installed, but as noted in the comments, it may not be sufficient in
bzrtools since some users want that color diff support to be optional
(and since I don't use color diff nor shelf right now, I don't feel
qualified to enhance that patch).

    aaron> Generally, people submit patches directly to me, but you can
    aaron> also submit a merge request on this mailing list and Bundle
    aaron> Buggy will do the right thing.

Yeah, I was unsure, I first thought both patches needed to be applied
together, I'm not so sure now...

          Vincent