Echoing a post: bzr vs. git

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Nov 11 13:34:16 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:33:21PM +0900 I heard the voice of
David Cournapeau, and lo! it spake thus:

> That's a point which nobody got right yet IMHO, the multiple
> branches is still confusing in most tools around DVCS, but at least
> with git, I can easily know what's in one and not the other through
> various means (blame, log, diff). With bzr, it is not, because of UI
> deficiencies.

We've wandered a bit here.  I wouldn't dream of arguing against the
claim that the tools bzr provides for comparing and contrasting
branches are weak next to git; I know they are.  The options are
narrow, and the syntax is painful where available at all.

But this isn't a necessary consequence of having revno's, which is
where I got into this thread.  It's likely that both items are 3rd or
4th order consequences of related fundamental presentational choices,
but there's no reason one has to be tossed over the wall to fix the
other.

I didn't come here to say revnos are the cure for world hunger, or
even appropriate in every situation; just that there are a number
where I find them very helpful, which are also the great majority of
situations I end up in.  They can't hurt anything unless you try and
use them where they don't belong, and it's no real effort to switch
gears in those cases.  The choice is between using something that's
mildly inconvenient all the time, and something that's incredibly
convenient most of the time and having to use something else in the
cases where it's useless, and to me that's not even a choice.  1 is
better than 2, but 2 excellent is better than 1 sufficient.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net