[MERGE] Reading pack-names triggers 3 reads

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Nov 11 12:30:35 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:59 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> 3) Use some sort of stat() call, and implement some sort of stat() for
> HTTP. This still causes us to issue 2 round-trip requests in order to
> read pack-names, which is bad. Though I suppose the code could be:

(As you may already know) we could use http HEAD (try eg "curl --head
http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/.bzr/repository/pack-names").  But, of
course you're right that this issues two round trips, and for small
files it will be no faster than reading the whole thing.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>