Echoing a post: bzr vs. git

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Nov 11 12:22:39 GMT 2008

[ drawn back on-list ]

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:50:23PM +0900 I heard the voice of
David Cournapeau, and lo! it spake thus:

> Yes, revnos are easier to remember. In my experience, those cases
> are not so useful because they can't be used for anything that is
> not published, and in the later case, I could just use tags if I
> really want to.

Well, they can't be used inter-personally on unpublished things.  But
then, if I'm using them with somebody else, it IS on published things
(otherwise they couldn't see the revs anyway after all).  And throwing
tags onto arbitrary old revisions would be a waste of time, and leave
a lot of unnecessary pollution floating around the branches afterward.
Most times you remember or refer to a revision are transient.

> Yes, if you deal only with one branch at a time, revno is OK. But
> the whole point (well, at least main point) of using DVCS is to have
> multiple branches. I agree bzr is a bit nicer to use when being in
> one branch; but that's optimizing for the less used model IMHO.

On the contrary, I find it to be optimizing for the most used model.
95% of the time I'm working, I'm working on one branch.  What branch
that is changes all the time of course, but I'm nearly always looking
at one branch at any particular moment.  The overwhelming majority of
my day is spent working on the code.  There are way more revisions
with one parent than there are with two.

The relative rarity with which I have to consider simultaneously two
branches is, IMO, a _feature_; it means the VCS is doing its job by
staying out of my way and not making me think about it much.  Most of
the time when I need to think about 2 branches at once, it's because
I'm merging one into the other, and that doesn't take much time at
all.  Then it's back to actually working on whatever problem is in
front of me, rather than the meta-work of integrating work.

> Everything is different. Sure, they both rely on a DAG, etc..., but
> at this point, almost every DVCS is the same, then.

Well, that's my point   8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net