yet another dvcs shootout (this time python-devel)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Nov 6 20:28:31 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:15 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:

> In my case, the biggest problem with bzr network-wise is the latency
> of
> every command. I am in a university's lab, so have access to a pretty
> fast network, but bzr network performances are abyssal with launchpad.
> It takes 30 seconds to pull nothing from my own 'pet' projects, and
> branching python repository, when it ends, take about one hour. It
> does
> not happen with git.

Latency certainly does matter; a large chunk of why it matters is
inefficiency within bzr - something Andrew Bennetts has been fixing (and
improving the tools for doing diagnosis on). So if you were to (for
instance) run 'bzr -Dhpss pull' in one of these pet projects, you will
get in ~/.bzr.log extra data about the round trips going on.

-Rob