Is this right?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Nov 6 15:39:46 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 09:10 -0600, Brian de Alwis wrote:
> Wouldn't Russel's problem have never occurred if bzr instead
> remembered the originally-specified branch name, 'lp:bzr-xmloutput'?
> If bzr remembered both the original name and the mapped name (as a
> cached value), then bzr could fallback to the original name should the
> mapped name fail.

I was in a meeting with Mark the other day, and he suggested pretty
much this, but for a slightly different use case.

If bzr remebered what the user asked for and what they got then when
a branch disappeared or diverged it could use tell the user some
scenarios for what may have happened and ask them how they would like
to proceed.

I do not know what the UI for this would look like.

Also, there would be performance implications for some of the cases,
and to work out what was going on bzr would have to do the
equivalent of "missing" on an extra branch or two, just to flesh
out an error message.

Exploring some of the implications and trying to come up with a design
would be interesting though.

Thanks,

James