yet another dvcs shootout (this time python-devel)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 6 11:15:57 GMT 2008

Robert Collins wrote:

> Well, network bandwidth perhaps:
> $ du -sh 3.0/.bzr/
> 212M    3.0/.bzr/
>
> How long does it take your network to copy 200MB of data?

In my case, the biggest problem with bzr network-wise is the latency of
every command. I am in a university's lab, so have access to a pretty
fast network, but bzr network performances are abyssal with launchpad.
It takes 30 seconds to pull nothing from my own 'pet' projects, and
branching python repository, when it ends, take about one hour. It does
not happen with git.

Can it be that network latency matters much more than bandwidth ? I
noticed that when Georg Brandl compared hg and bzr, it got *only* 3-4
times slower instead of several order of magnitude in my case. That's
really too big a difference,

cheers,

David