yet another dvcs shootout (this time python-devel)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:57:41 GMT 2008

2008/11/5 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>:
> (Switched to the Bazaar list, as this is no longer about Mercurial)
>
> 2008/11/5 Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>:
>> I just tried the bzr component of the above comparison with bzr's
>> 1.8 release (about 5 months newer than 1.5):
>> Branched 37403
>> revision(s).
>>
>> real    4m26.156s
>> user    3m56.170s
>> sys     0m11.020s
>
> OK, I used the latest 1.9 build, and I got
>
>>timer on & "\Documents and Settings\Gustav\Desktop\Bazaar"\bzr branch http://co
> de.python.org/python/3.0 bzrpy3 & timer off
> Timer 1 on: 23:11:37
> Branched 37415 revision(s).
> Timer 1 off: 23:28:31  Elapsed: 0:16:53.52
>
> I'm not sure what that proves, but I offer the figures for comparison.
> For me, it looks like a simple bzr branch is still pretty slow. Maybe
> it says network performance is slow, but why is my time 4x longer than
> yours?

For comparison, here are local copy timings:

>timer on & copy /q /e /s bzrpy3 bzrpy3b & timer off
Timer 1 on: 23:50:27
Timer 1 off: 23:50:48  Elapsed: 0:00:21.47

23:50 C:\Data
>timer on & "\Documents and Settings\Gustav\Desktop\Bazaar"\bzr branch bzrpy3 bz
rpy3a & timer off
Timer 1 on: 23:51:56
Branched 37415 revision(s).
Timer 1 off: 23:55:10  Elapsed: 0:03:13.73

So bzr branch is 9x slower than a simple directory copy (is bzr like
Mercurial, where a directory copy is a working clone, as long as there
are no concurrent users of the branch when you are copying?).

Paul.