Bazaar as interface to Subversion repositories

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Sat Nov 1 07:20:01 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 14:30 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> I would guess the extra metadata bzr-svn adds; which some (not all by
> any means) svn users have objected too.

I don't think that anyone begrudges bzr-svn placing its own metadata;
the problem was that it was *visible* to users of other systems. I for
one I have actively prohibited myself from using bzr-svn to push to
upstream because I know that the projects I contribute to would freak if
they saw that kind of trash in their commit logs.

I think the point that Ben is trying to articulate is that if
transparent interaction was the original intent of bzr-svn, not pissing
upstream projects off by forcing them to see all that junk (and, oh by
the way, giving Bazaar a bad name in the process) really ought to have
been a requirement for initial release, not a nice-to-have 2 years on.

But whatever. I'm not the one writing the software, so I can only
patiently encourage those who do. I'm thrilled to hear that some work is
being done to store such data as invisible revision properties rather
than visible file properties, and wish you all the best as testing this
fix takes place.

AfC
Sydney