Rebase, parent and push

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Oct 30 08:21:02 GMT 2008

When I use Bazaar as a client to a Subversion repository and I have
write permission to the repository, I have the parent branch and push
branch the same and so no problems using rebase.

In the situation where I have only read permission to the Subversion
repository then I publish my branch on Launchpad.  This means I have the
parent as the Subversion store and the push as the Launchpad branch.
However this means I have to use:

	bzr rebase :parent

all the time because the push branch is the default for rebasing.

Clearly I am missing something as I see :parent as the natural default
for rebasing and yet it is the push branch that is the default.

I know this has been discussed previously (probably many times) so
people probably don't want to go through it all again.  Is there a
succinct summary of the argument for the current state anywhere?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077