[MERGE] Shelf 5 / 5

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Oct 29 14:24:49 GMT 2008

Vincent Ladeuil writes:

 >     Stephen> Surely that's not true; both XEmacs and GNU Emacs
 >     Stephen> support full-screen terminal emulators, as well as the
 >     Stephen> line-oriented shell modes.
 >
 >     Stephen> I'm pretty sure you can just use comint as the basis
 >     Stephen> of such modes (but I haven't written one myself).
 >
 > I'd be so delighted...
 >
 > Care to send more precise pointers ?

Per Bothner's term.el comes to mind.  See function `term-send-raw' in
particular.  I thought there might be better ones by now (John
Weigley's eshell, in particular) but I don't use them and it's not
immediately obvious to me whether it has a "raw" mode.

In principle, it's conceptually easy: just bind the keys that you want
to be sent "raw" to something like

(defun kludge-o-matic ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion