removing commited file permanently

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Mon Oct 27 19:47:52 GMT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 06:47:40 +0100
Alex Greif <alex.greif at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I committed some large PhotoShop files some time ago. Now I dont
> need them, nor the history of there files.
>
> Is there a way to completely remove files, including their history,
> so that even the .bzr will become much smaller?

I know you could use the bzr-rebase plugin to rebuild your repository,
excluding the revision that added that file, but this is *extremely*
undesirable in most cases.

You could use the 'uncommit' command to uncommit only the revision that
added that file and all later revisions, then (if you committed
revisions after that one) you would have to re-commit those revisions,
but they would become "new" revisions and this would cause problems if
you've merged those changes to other branches.

The question I don't have the answer to is:  How do you get bzr to
actually delete the uncommitted revision's data?  (Since 'uncommit'
actually lets you undo the uncommit ... a great feature, but sometimes
you really mean it!)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in and really
answer your question.

Regards,
Colin