[MERGE] Test for bug #272444 (symlinks to Unicode file names)

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Mon Oct 27 01:51:35 GMT 2008

Daniel Clemente wrote:
> Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com> writes:
>
> > I don't know what needs fixing, but I do think that it would be better for
> > commit to fail than to make an unbranchable/uncheckoutable branch.
>
>   I don't think it's much use trying to displace the source of the error, when
>   we can try to fix bug #272444 and make both commit and branch work.
>   Maybe later, commit() can raise a warning if it can't detect the system
>   encoding for the symlink target, but that's another feature to implement,
>   and for a very special case.

I agree that fixing the bug is better than failing better, so long as the bug
gets fixed :)

> > Interestingly, when I try from the command line to commit a symlink to adiós I
> > get a traceback,
>
>   I can do that commit. Try this test, it fails for me (with Python 2.5) on branch, not commit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/272444/comments/1
>   If you see new strange behaviours, you could write a new test or expand the existing ones.

The commit still fails for me.  I get a UnicodeDecodeError in testament.py.  If
I set $BZR_HOME to point to an empty directory (so as to ignore my ~/.bazaar
settings), then the commit succeeds but I get a UnicodeEncodeError in
dirstate.py during branch.

I think the reason for the difference is that I have “create_signatures =
always” in my bazaar.conf.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Ubuntu (Intrepid, i.e. 8.10), so my system
Python is also 2.5.  My LANG=en_AU.UTF-8.  In addition to changing BZR_HOME I
also used --no-plugins.

-Andrew.