[MERGE] Test for bug #272444 (symlinks to Unicode file names)

Daniel Clemente dcl441-bugs at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 01:26:10 GMT 2008

Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com> writes:

> I don't know what needs fixing, but I do think that it would be better for
> commit to fail than to make an unbranchable/uncheckoutable branch.

  I don't think it's much use trying to displace the source of the error, when we can try to fix bug #272444 and make both commit and branch work.
  Maybe later, commit() can raise a warning if it can't detect the system encoding for the symlink target, but that's another feature to implement, and for a very special case.

> Interestingly, when I try from the command line to commit a symlink to adiós I
> get a traceback,

  I can do that commit. Try this test, it fails for me (with Python 2.5) on branch, not commit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/272444/comments/1
  If you see new strange behaviours, you could write a new test or expand the existing ones.

>>   ...should I change something else? I'll send the patch when we decide if we need both tests or not.
>
> Unfortunately, yes: make the tests pass with Python 2.4, and ideally Python 2.6.

I attach a new patch which:
 - breaks long lines
 - provides in a comment the path of the other test's file
 - gives some reasons for having two tests
 - passes on Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.7a0 (so probably 2.6 too). Both tests

Still remaining:
 - Aaron, could you tell if a branch_implementation test is needed? (see parent message)