Telling if two trees are different

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Oct 24 05:10:23 BST 2008

James Westby writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > For the Ubuntu bzr importer I need to be able to tell, given two
 > trees, whether they differ in contents. I'd like to do
 > this in the most elegant/efficient way possible,

Use git.<duck />

Seriously, this is precisely what git is designed for.  Why not create
a plugin that implements git's object index, as an auxiliary?  It
can't be that hard, git is such a simple thing.  It's just that
instead of pointing into the .git/objects store for their content,
blobs would point at a file/revision pair in the bzr store.  Trees,
commits, and tags would be the same (and maybe for your application
implementing commits and tags would be unnecessary).