[MERGE] Test for bug #272444 (symlinks to Unicode file names)

Daniel Clemente dcl441-bugs at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 16:33:24 BST 2008

Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com> writes:

>> === modified file 'bzrlib/tests/branch_implementations/test_sprout.py'
> [...]
>> +    def test_sprout_with_unicode_symlink(self):
>> +        # this tests bug #272444
>> +        # Also tested by TestSetParents.test_unicode_symlink at test_parents.py

>  * it seems unfortunate that it's possible to commit a revision that
>    can't then be sprouted.  If we're going to fail, we probably should
>    fail sooner rather than later.  That's not your fault of course, so
>    you don't have to fix it in this patch, but it is worth noting.

  The revision may be correct and the problem may be in the sprout.
  But do you mean, that maybe WorkingTree.commit() or Commit.commit() should do the right decoding? Maybe that's the place to investigate.

>  * it's odd to have a test that claims to duplicate the testing done by
>    another test.  Is it really a duplicate?  If so, what's the value in
>    having it?  It seems to be a workingtree issue rather than a branch
>    issue, so a branch_implementations test does seem to be the wrong
>    place.

  I did originally write the test with self.run_bzr("branch ...") and found that it failed with WorkingTreeFormat4, 3 and 2. When I rewrote it with set_parent_trees, I found that only WorkingTreeFormat4 failed. So Aaron Bentley suggested here [1] to test also sprout() since that is what „branch“ uses.

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/47300/focus=47848

> bb:tweak

  Other than:
- breaking the long line
- telling other test's path in a comment
- explaining in the comment why are there two tests
  ...should I change something else? I'll send the patch when we decide if we need both tests or not.

Daniel