Please don't munge ‘Reply-To’

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sat Oct 18 14:56:56 BST 2008

    Ben> John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
    >> Just as a side-comment, when sending out announcements like this, we
    >> should set the "Reply-To" to be just the bzr mailing list.

<snip/>

    Ben> Why would that happen accidentally, unless the ‘Reply-To’ field is
    Ben> incorrectly set in the first place?

John want the *sender* ('when sending announcements' refers to the
release managers, not the mailing list software) of the announce
to set the Reply-To, nobody talked about changing mailing list
settings.

<URL:http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful> says
(itself citing <URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt>:
,----
|     When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the
|     mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggests
|     that replies be sent.
`----

Which is exactly John's point, we don't want replies to be sent
accidentally elsewhere. If people know better and are allowed to
mail elsewhere, they hopefully know how to deal with it.

       Vincent