[bzr-svn] track specific directories only

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Oct 18 10:25:18 BST 2008

Hi Stephan,

Am Freitag, den 17.10.2008, 14:46 +0200 schrieb Stephan Hennig:
> within a Subversion repository my work is limited to a specific
> sub-directory, say the top-level directory "manual".  With Subversion I
> can checkout this specific directory,
>
>   svn co url/trunk/manual
>
> and don't have to "pull" changes that take place in other (probably high
> traffic) top-level directories.
>
> The reason I don't want to see other peoples non-manual related changes
> is that I have a narrow band dial-up connection.  Since with Subversion
> I can't work off-line, I'm interested in tracking the repository via Bazaar.
>
> So my question is, can bzr-svn track specific directories to minimize
> traffic?  To my understanding, the answer is no, but I'd love to be
> proven wrong.  What I have found in the docs is that for bzr-svn a
> subversion server v1.5 is recommended (currently it's v1.4.3) and bzr
> can do lightweight checkouts.  However, I can't see how both would help
> solving my problem.  BTW, doing a full checkout only once would be OK.
> Can Bazaar & bzr-svn do what I'm looking for?
Yes, bzr-svn can do what you are looking for - just specify the branch
URL you would like to branch and it should work fine, at least with
newer versions of bzr-svn.

One of the things bzr-svn can *not* do yet, is work properly if you have
one checkout that uses a subdirectory and one that doesn't. bzr-svn will
make these two appear as different branches with no relationship
whatsoever.

Cheers,

Jelmer