[bug 277537] [REVIEW] A highly specific reconcile

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Fri Oct 17 14:20:46 BST 2008

    john> Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> This needs to be reviewed without BB support (it's a plugin, not
    >> a patch against bzr itself), please keep that in mind if you want
    >> to track it.
    >>
    >> Bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/277537 is about a
    >> repository in which some file revisions have inconsistent
    >> parents.

    john> So one thing Martin and I discussed. What if the actual
    john> bug is that 'annotate' is assuming that it can re-use
    john> 'left-matching-blocks' but for the nodes with the
    john> parent-ids mixed up, it is actually applying them to
    john> the wrong parent.

That's how I understand it.

    john> Consider if the 'compression_parent' was the right-hand
    john> parent, rather than the left. Then annotate would be
    john> re-using the 'matching blocks' incorrectly.

Yes.

    john> That said, with my quick attempts at debugging the
    john> per-file graph that I've seen, I don't see any cases
    john> where 'compression_parent != parent_ids[0]'.

I think that's because annotate, somehow, doesn't use *these*
parents but some others calculated from the revision graph and is
then assume that they are the same.

     Vincent