.bzr location

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Tue Oct 14 16:29:19 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM, James <purpleidea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was just wondering if someone knew how to use bzr to track changes
> to a directory x but keep the .bzr folder in a different directory
> somewhere else say y.
>
> eg: bzr init /etc/something --conf=/var/something/.bzr/
>
> i thought that i might want something like: $ bzr init-repository [???]
> but it wasn't clear so.

You will still have a .bzr directory, but you can tell bzr to store
the history in another location.  Something like this should do it:

    bzr init /var/something
    bzr remove-tree /var/something
    bzr checkout --lightweight /var/something /etc/something

The .bzr directory in /etc/something will only contain (a) a pointer
to where the history is stored and (b) enough information to track the
files in the working tree so that commit, diff, etc can work.  It will
be fairly small and will generally only grow with the number of files
rather than the number of commits.

James.