RFC 'bzr-next'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Oct 12 23:41:36 BST 2008

the linux kernel developers have a tool, called linux-next (e.g.
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/The_Usefulness_Of_Linux-Next)

I'm currently working on a upgrade to the inventory representation in
bzr which while conceptually simple is likely to have wide ranging
impact in terms of finding assumptions about how inventories work; Aaron
is working on a bunch of tree merge logic and others on other things, so
the things that aren't baked yet. I'm wondering if a bzr-next mini
project would be useful?

Basically what it would be is:
 - a plugin
 - a branch
 - a chroot somewhere doing a test run regularly (perhaps windows too)

The plugin would list a number of branches to merge. e.g.
bzr.dev
my repository branch
nominated branches from Aaron, John, Martin, etc etc etc

It would then (e.g. from cron, or watching the branches for changes)
merge all the branches in, putting failure notices somewhere visible
(and skipping the failed branch). Then run the test suite (and perhaps
usertest?).

Branches that don't merge can be fixed by merging back from the bzr-next
tree to resolve whatever issue has occurred, and telling it to merge
that resolution. Some thought needed on making that easy.

Thoughts?
-Rob