bzr memory usage

Jurgen Defurne jurgen.defurne at pandora.be
Fri Oct 10 16:30:26 BST 2008

I have created a repository which contains some build chains that I need for my work. There are about 15, each of some size (I think between 60 and 200Mb, but I cannot verify that for the moment). This is handy to be able to replicate these environments on different build servers, and also to add patches to them.

Yesterday and today I checked out some part I need, and I noticed that the (virtual) memory usage (bzr1.7.1, Windows installation on Server 2003) went through the roof at about 1.7Gb memory used. This system has 1Gb of RAM, so there is a considerable slowing down due to thrashing.

I am a little bit appalled by this figure. I know that you want to have a snappy system, but I think that counting on the fact that there should be enough memory is a bad design decision.

Are there ways to alleviate this, or do you consider it yourself as a bug (I know I do!) ?

Regards,

Jurgen