JIRA plugin for bazaar ?

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Fri Oct 10 09:18:28 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 11:29 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> "Thomas Manson" <dev.mansonthomas at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >  Does any body knows if a Jira plugin is planned for bazaar ?
>
> Planned by whom? As I understand it, Jira is non-free software, so I
> don't know what the Bazaar project could do about it.
>
> What would such a plugin actually do?

Many open source projects use JIRA since Atlassian have a special
licence for open source projects.  See for example Codehaus
(www.codehaus.org) -- which hosts Groovy, Gant, Gradle, Grails, vast
numbers of Maven plugins, etc., etc.

Codehaus have realized they have to support repositories other than
Subversion ones.  Git and Mercurial was their list.  I jumped up and
down and shouted (metaphorically anyway) and got Bazaar added.  It seems
though that Git has the zeitgeist; someone somewhere must be ensuring
there is a Git backend for JIRA.  I am guessing someone may be fiddling
with the Mercurial one as well.

If there is no Bazaar backend for systems like JIRA, an ever increasing
number of FOSS projects will switch to whatever repository system does
and that will likely be Git, or possibly Mercurial.  Certainly in and
around the Groovy and Grails community Git is gaining traction and hence
there is some pressure in Codehaus management to prioritize support for
Git to avoid ructions as projects want to move from Subversion to a
DVCS.

The important issue here is that projects will stay with their hosting
in almost all circumstances unless there is a fork of the project.

OK so GitHub seems to have generated an hysteria of use in a way that
Launchpad has not.  So Git is winning over Bazaar for the hearts and
minds of the early adopters.  On the other hand, Codehaus has a superb
JIRA/Confluence/etc. set up that makes project management a breeze --
except for having to use Subversion which make branching about as
difficult as it is possible to make it.

Bazaar has a hidden USP though -- Bundle Buggy.  If Bundle Buggy was
fully integrated into Launchpad, it would have a much greater appeal.  I
might even suggest to the Codehaus people that they investigate Bundle
Buggy (hopefully there isn't a Git equivalent) for the Codehaus
infrastructure.  The idea of being able to accept patches from anyone
for voting by the development team really is in the true spirit of FOSS.
-- especially when using DVCS suhc as Bazaar, Mercurial or Git.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077