case sensitivity on Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Oct 10 00:20:37 BST 2008

> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 09:23 +1100, Mark Hammond wrote:
> >
> > My point is that on Windows, this is *not* a "rename" in a practical
> > sense.  The same name used in the past can still be used on the new
> > name, where that isn't true of a "real" rename.  ie, just because
> some
> > editor changed the case of a file, no other windows program would be
> > affected, so bzr should not either.
>
> How does this interact with the
> README
> Readme
>
> case - where both files exist?

> (NTFS can represent this quite sanely... pity about the API's)

I would consider such a case to be truly exceptional, because as you
mention, you can't use the APIs to do that.

In other words, given bzr itself couldn't arrange to create such files, its
probably safe for bzr to assume no one else does either.  However, I'm not
completely sure what bzr should do when trying to checkout such a repo on
Windows, but it probably doesn't matter too much - its never going to be
"pretty" or "correct" for everyone - and its not directly related to this
discussion as there is nothing "windowsy" bzr *can* do to resolve this.

Cheers,

Mark