Introducing Shelf 2

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Thu Oct 9 06:06:21 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 00:29 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> May I introduce Sheve 2? ... as close to revert as it ought to be ...
> merge is used, not patch, text conflicts are handled using bzr's
> standard mechanism...

The use cases you describe sound pretty nice.

> This new implementation has three layers:
> Layer 1: TreeTransform serialization
> Layer 2: Shelving implementation classes
> Layer 3: Console shelving UI.
>
> I am hoping to merge 1 and 2 into bzr proper.  Maybe 3 as well,
> depending on what people think.

If the guts of the machinery needed to implement this are targeted for
Bazaar proper, then it'd be lovely to have the `bzr shelve` frond-end
command also in Bazaar as this is an often requested use case for the
core tool. I hope you will.

> Shelf supports multiple named shelves, but I don't think they're
> commonly used.  I may not implement them for Shelf 2, and just have a
> single stack.

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Ultimately if one has unfinished work of
sufficient complexity that it needs preservation in its own identity,
then really it should be put on a branch. Personally I've always viewed
shelve as a really useful means to get other stuff out of the way while
creating such parking branches before getting back to what I was doing.

AfC
Sydney