[MERGE] 'bzr dump-btree'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Oct 9 01:22:08 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 19:10 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I'd like to have something to debug any btree index as well. I can add
> *another* command if you would like. With btree, I miss being able to
> see the contents from time to time (when investigating bugs, etc.), so
> think this is still useful as is.
>
> So could you clarify what you want me to do? Would you like me to add
> something *additional* or you don't like this command at all, etc.

I'm fine with the command; I see it being fairly useless as-is with
future changes though. So a few thoughts on future proofing.

Lets have a way to get a specific index other than path.

e.g. some random thoughts.

bzr dump-index ROOT INDEXSPEC
ROOT is the dir that has a .bzr directory
INDEXSPEC ::= 'repo' REPOSEC
REPOSEC ::= 'names' | VERSIONEDFILETYPE packname
VERSIONEDFILETYPE ::= 'rev' | 'inv' | 'sig' | 'txt' | 'chk'

To use this:
bzr dump-index . repo names
bzr dump-index . repo rev 28934792734092734239847234

I think thats sufficently future proofed to handle:
 indices in branches or other objects
 different index types that might occur.
 indices moving into the pack file itself

-Rob