Dropping support for Python 2.4

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Wed Oct 8 19:41:53 BST 2008

Daniel Watkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 17:45 +1100, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
>> Unfortunately we're still supporting Python 2.4.  AFAIK there are no
>> plans to change that.
> I wonder if it's time to change this policy.  Looking at a few major
> distros:
>       * Debian: python2.5 is in stable (soon to be oldstable)
>       * Ubuntu: python2.5 has been in since Feisty (and bzr is 0.8.2 in
>         dapper, so we're presumably not going to be backporting
>         incompatible changes any time soon)
>       * Fedora: Python version 2.5 since Fedora 7 (which was as early as
>         I could dig records out for)
>
> So it wouldn't be unreasonable to start thinking about it.
>

> Dan

FWIW, I run one Ubuntu Gutsy and one Hardy machine. Both have 2.5, so
that's fine. I also use a web host that runs Debian oldstable or
something, which only has 2.3.5 and 2.4.1, but I don't use bzr much
there anyway, and they're planning to upgrade to Etch soon.

I dunno. I think it's a bit early to drop 2.4, unless it's really worth
it. ISTM most software supports at least 2.3 or 2.4. I don't think I've
heard of anything that requires 2.5. Of course, there's nothing wrong
with being a trendsetter... ;-)