_readdir_pyx extension cannot be compiled with MSVC

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Oct 3 10:17:32 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel пишет:
> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> John Arbash Meinel пишет:
>> John, you just released 1.7.1. If this was fixed in trunk, why it's not
>> in the release?
>> It's annoying. Sorry, but it's really annoying.
>
> Because we didn't know the problem existed. I had 1.7.1rc1 up for a
> week, which is the perfect time to test this sort of thing and make sure
> it compiles everywhere with all compilers.

Fair enough. But unfortunately build_ext error is suppressed today, because
bzr's setup.py always assume that it can use python version instead.
So catching that sort of errors is hard. I hope your recent patch
that will force setup.py to fail if C-extension cannot be built will help
in such situations.

> It isn't really possible for one person to do this, which is why we have
> release candidates. To give other people time to test what will become a
> final release.

OK, I'm stupid and dumb person, but I really did not had a time to test it in the past,
and now I don't trying to test, I'm just want to update my existing installations
at work places.

> I don't think we need to evaluate every patch to see if it needs to be
> part of another release. It may be good to keep in mind, but 1.8rc1 is
> probably going to happen at the end of this week anyway. I know Martin
> is planning on an extended release cycle which may be a good way to
> catch more of this sort of thing.

I think all patches that improves build/install process should have highest
priority to include into release. IMHO, of course.

> So basically, someone needed to notice and tell the rest of us. I'm
> sorry that it wasn't noticed by someone other than yourself until it was
> a bit late.

I'm sorry if my words was too harsh. Excuse me. Pardon. Извините, я больше так не буду.

> I *believe* both problems are fixed in bzr.dev, which means that 1.8
> will have the fixes.

Sorry, but it's not true. Problem with Python 2.4 still there.
It's a fundamental problem, IMO. Here is bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/277475

> If you feel it is important, we can do a 1.7.2 or possibly a
> 1.7.1-win32-2 with some of that fixed. It is a bit of overhead, but not
> terribly so.

No, I can wait couple of weeks for bzr 1.8. It's not urgent at all,
I'm still happy with bzr 1.5.

Thank you.