RFC: caching in CHKInventory

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Oct 3 00:47:13 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:42 +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> I'm not sure I have enough context to form an opinion.  So instead I'll
> ask some questions.
>
> So the underlying CHKMaps cache already...  are these shared at all
> between CHKInventories?

The maps are not shared; they may have pointers in common; caching here
isn't implemented yet, but I intend it to be a layer on top of VF that
caches requested texts, or alternatively a helper that caches parsed
pages.

> Will implementing caching in CHKInventory mean
> there are two layers caching the same data?

Kindof. consider a three-node map: root, leaf1, leaf2, the cache in the
Map level will have the three nodes; maybe parsed, or maybe as bytes.
The CHKInventory cache would have the actual InventoryEntry objects
looked up by the client.

>   What exactly are you
> considering caching, inventory entry objects?

Yes.

-Rob