[MERGE][bug 276868] Blacklist pyrex 0.9.4.1

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Oct 2 03:01:55 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>> I think in general we're a bit too tolerant of people running without
>> compiled extensions and therefore seeing bad performance, and we
>> should do something about that.  Maybe setup.py should fail unless you
>> specify --without-compiled-extensions or something.  But that's beyond
>> the scope of this patch.
>>

> Actually, I was thinking about something along those lines. Only more
> specifically so that PQM would fail if it could not build the extensions.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, I think it would be great :-)

There are two complimentary bits I would say: we don't want pqm (or
usertest for that matter) to skip building them without us knowing,
and we don't want users having eg slow dirstates withouth them
knowing.  In either case the tradeoff might be worthwhile if say there
is no available working copy of pyrex.  I don't think we'd want to do
it just at runtime as that might get annoying.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>