[MERGE] Fix test suite regression on OSX in TestReadMergeableFromUrl.test_smart_server_connection_reset.

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Wed Oct 1 08:13:33 BST 2008

Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
[...]
>     Andrew> Out of interest, what does the stacktrace for the failing test look
>     Andrew> like?  I think I can guess, but it'd be good to avoid unnecessary
>     Andrew> guesswork :)
>
> Sure:
[...]

Thanks.

[...]
>     Andrew> So I think the relevant SmartClientMedium (in this
>     Andrew> case SmartTCPClientMedium I guess) should be catching
>     Andrew> this error and translating it into something
>     Andrew> consistent for the caller, which at the moment would
>     Andrew> be to return ''.  So that would mean updating
>     Andrew> SmartTCPClientMedium._read_bytes.  (Or
>     Andrew> SmartClientHTTPMediumRequest._read_bytes?)
>
> Done in SmartTCPClientMedium. Which leads me to the forgotten
> question: in what circumstances is the smart involved in reading
> a *bundle* ?

When reading (or attempting to read) a bundle over a transport that
claims to have a smart medium.  E.g. doing “bzr merge bzr://...” or “bzr
pull http://...” will attempt to read a bundle as their first network
operation.

>     Andrew> I'm starting to think that the right thing to do
>     Andrew> would be to make the medium become responsible for
>     Andrew> raising ConnectionReset, rather than the caller of
>     Andrew> read_bytes.  This is probably a deeper change than
>     Andrew> necessary for fixing this particular bug, so I
>     Andrew> wouldn't demand it happen immediately.  But I think
>     Andrew> we should be moving in this direction.
>
> And how far should we go there ? 'ConnectionReset', as far as
> hpss is concerned can be viewed as a transient error, should we
> reconnect automatically (even harder and higher in the stack I
> guess) ?

I don't think ConnectionReset should be considered transient.  If the
connection has been refused, or interrupted, then usually we ought to
stop and tell the user about it.

>     Andrew> Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
>     Andrew> [...]
>     >> +            if len(e.args) and e.args[0] is errno.ECONNRESET:
>
>     Andrew> In addition to my other comments, don't use “is” to
>     Andrew> compare these integers, just use “==”.  It'll
>     Andrew> probably work all the time with all current
>     Andrew> implementations of CPython, but we shouldn't be
>     Andrew> relying on that.
>
> I've been bitten by that in another project (I used 'is' here by
> copy/paste, I should have known better :) and I was wondering:
> using 'is' seems to be an optimized path when both strings are
> interned, but '==' should knows that and use it, so is it really
> worth trying to use 'is' ? And if yes, in what contexts ?

“is” is useful in two cases that I can think of:

  * when you really do want to know if one object is the same instance
    as another.  Use cases are things like implementing object
    serialisers like pickle, or maybe caching/memoising mechanisms, or
    debug tools.

  * when being as fast as possible is important, and you are *sure* that
    “is” will give the correct answer in this case.

-Andrew.