Poor experience of trying to create a stacked branch on lp

Gary van der Merwe garyvdm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 12:20:12 BST 2008

Hi

I want to share my experience of trying to create a stacked branch on lp.

I have a branch of qbzr that I want to push to lp. I want it to be
stacked on the qbzr trunk so I don' t have to push all revisions. So I
tried:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr push lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff --stacked-on=lp:qbzr
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.

bzr: ERROR: Not a branch: "F:/qbzr/extdiff/lp:qbzr/".

Ok - --stacked-on= does not support directory services. Try:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr push lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff
--stacked-on=http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~qbzr-dev/qbzr/trunk/
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
Ignoring request for a stacked branch as repository already exists at
the destination location.

It started pushing all rev. So, I hit ctrl-c

Ok - Delete the branch through the lp interface, and try again:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr push lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff
--stacked-on=http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~qbzr-dev/qbzr/trunk/
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
bzr: ERROR: The repository
'bzr+ssh://garyvdm@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eqbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff/.bzr/repository/'(<RepositoryFormatKnitPack1>)
is not a stackable format. You will need to upgrade the repository to
permit branch stacking.

Upgrade the branch:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr upgrade lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff --1.6
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
starting upgrade of
bzr+ssh://garyvdm@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eqbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff/
making backup of tree history
bzr+ssh://garyvdm@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eqbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff/.bzr
has been backed up to
bzr+ssh://garyvdm@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eqbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff/backup.bzr
if conversion fails, you can move this directory back to .bzr
if it succeeds, you can remove this directory if you wish
starting repository conversion
repository converted
finished

Then try again:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr push lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff
--stacked-on=http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~qbzr-dev/qbzr/trunk/
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
Ignoring request for a stacked branch as repository already exists at
the destination location.

It started pushing all rev. So, I hit ctrl-c

Delete the branch again and try:

F:\qbzr\extdiff>bzr branch lp:qbzr lp:~qbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff --stacked
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
Source format does not support stacking, using format: '1.6'
  Packs 5 (adds stacking support, requires bzr 1.6)

Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
bzr: ERROR: The branch
'bzr+ssh://garyvdm@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eqbzr-dev/qbzr/extdiff/'(Bazaar
Branch Format 6 (bzr 0.15))

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. But this was very frustrating for me.

Gary