bzr 1.8 release plans and manager wanted

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Sep 22 01:38:18 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> wrote:

> I will be attending a company event (the Launchpad Epic) starting Oct
> 19, so a longer RC probably doesn't work for me.
>
> Anyone else want to do it?

I'd be happy to do it again, and maybe that would be best if you're
travelling soon after the scheduled release.

Here is my platform:

 * metronome mails every Monday
 * no trunk freeze period
 * rc may come forward
 * final release should not be any later

As things come in, sometimes there is a need to flex things to get
features in and a good-quality release out.  Not planning for how we
will alter things seems to make the pressure break out by just having
the release be later.  Rather than slipping or having the trunk
frozen, I think we should instead look at making the rc earlier, so
that there is a longer period of stabilization.  In other words, we
should break off the release branch at the time when something wants
to merge that we think may be risky for this release.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>