[merge] Enhancement to also use the external diff tool for new and deleted files.

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Tue Sep 16 07:36:35 BST 2008

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> David Ingamells wrote:
>
>> Extend bzr to also pass added and deleted files to the external diff
>> tool when "bzr diff --using" is called.
>>

> Thanks for your submission.
>
> diff --using shouldn't interfere with creating correct diffs, but this
> change does.
>
> A diff that deletes a file superficially resembles a diff that changes
> the file's size to 0.  But there are differeces.  A deletion diff will
> show /dev/null as the path to the 0-size file, and it will show the UNIX
> epoch as the modified time of the 0-size file.  The inverse is true for
> patches that create files.  These hints are used by patch to decide
> whether to delete a file or change its contents.
>
> As it stands, this change will cause incorrect patches to be generated
> when doing diff --using diff.

Please forgive my ignorance. :-[

Is the external diff tool used to create patches? I was under the
impression that "bzr send" did that (or "bzr diff -p1" and that "bzr
diff --using" was for producing human friendly display for reviews.

If /dev/null is the 0-sized file, then how does one change the
modification time of it? What is the "inverse" of this?

> bb:resubmit
>

>> Feel free to be extra critical  ;-)   as this is my first submission to
>> bzr *and* my first work with python.
>>

> Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries. ;-)

I wasn't meaning *that* kind of Python. I'm old enough to have seen
*that* Python first-time around :-(