Bazaar 1.7 Release Candidate 1
John Arbash Meinel
john.meinel at canonical.com
Wed Sep 10 05:47:46 BST 2008
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
This release candidate for bzr 1.7 has several bug fixes and a few performance
and feature improvements. ``bzr rm`` will now scan for missing files and
remove them, like how ``bzr add`` scans for unknown files and adds them. A bit
more polish has been applied to the stacking code. The b-tree indexing code
has been brought in, with an eye on using it in a future repository format.
If no regressions are found in this release, bzr 1.7 final should be released
next Monday, Sept 15th, 2008.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.
As always, the source is available directly, and Windows and Mac downloads
should be available shortly.
The packages should be building right now in the beta ppa:
Release Notes for all changes since bzr 1.6.1:
bzr 1.7rc1 2008-09-09
This release candidate for bzr 1.7 has several bug fixes and a few
performance and feature improvements. ``bzr rm`` will now scan for
missing files and remove them, like how ``bzr add`` scans for unknown
files and adds them. A bit more polish has been applied to the stacking
code. The b-tree indexing code has been brought in, with an eye on using
it in a future repository format.
* ``bzr export`` can now export a subdirectory of a project.
* ``bzr rm`` will now scan for files that are missing and remove just
them automatically, much as ``bzr add`` scans for new files that
are not ignored and adds them automatically. (Robert Collins)
* Support for GSSAPI authentication when using FTP as documented in
RFC2228. (Jelmer Vernooij, #49623)
* A url like ``log+file:///tmp`` will log all access to that Transport
to ``.bzr.log``, which may help in debugging or profiling.
* ``bzr branch`` and ``bzr push`` use the default stacking policy if the
branch format supports it. (Aaron Bentley)
* ``bzr init`` and ``bzr init-repo`` will now print out the same as
``bzr info`` if it completed successfully.
* ``bzr uncommit`` logs the old tip revision id, and displays how to
restore the branch to that tip using ``bzr pull``. This allows you
to recover if you realize you uncommitted the wrong thing.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* ``SFTPTransport.readv()`` was accidentally using ``list += string``,
which 'works', but adds each character separately to the list,
rather than using ``list.append(string)``. Fixing this makes the
SFTP transport a little bit faster (~20%) and use a bit less memory.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* When reading index files, if we happen to read the whole file in a
single request treat it as a ``_buffer_all`` request. This happens
most often on small indexes over remote transports, where we default
to reading 64kB. It saves a round trip for each small index during
fetch operations. Also, if we have read more than 50% of an index
file, trigger a ``_buffer_all`` on the next request. This works
around some inefficiencies because reads don't fall neatly on page
boundaries, so we would ignore those bytes, but request them again
later. This could trigger a total read size of more than the whole
file. (John Arbash Meinel)
* ``bzr rm`` is now aliased to ``bzr del`` for the convenience of svn
users. (Robert Collins, #205416)
* Catch the infamous "select/poll returned error" which occurs when
pycurl try to send a body request to an HTTP/1.0 server which has
already refused to handle the request. (Vincent Ladeuil, #225020)
* Fix ``ObjectNotLocked`` errors when using various commands
(including ``bzr cat`` and ``bzr annotate``) in combination with a
smart server URL. (Andrew Bennetts, #237067)
* ``FTPTransport.stat()`` would return ``0000`` as the permission bits
for the containing ``.bzr/`` directory (it does not implement
permissions). This would cause us to set all subdirectories to
``0700`` and files to ``0600`` rather than leaving them unmodified.
Now we ignore ``0000`` as the permissions and assume they are
invalid. (John Arbash Meinel, #259855)
* Merging from a previously joined branch will no longer cause
a traceback. (Jelmer Vernooij, #203376)
* Pack operations on windows network shares will work even with large
files. (Robert Collins, #255656)
* Running ``bzr st PATH_TO_TREE`` will no longer suppress merge
status. Status is also about 7% faster on mozilla sized trees
when the path to the root of the tree has been given. Users of
the internal ``show_tree_status`` function should be aware that
the show_pending flag is now authoritative for showing pending
merges, as it was originally. (Robert Collins, #225204)
* Set valid default _param_name for Option so that ListOption can embed
'-' in names. (Vincent Ladeuil, #263249)
* Show proper error rather than traceback when an unknown revision
id is specified to ``bzr cat-revision``. (Jelmer Vernooij, #175569)
* Trailing text in the dirstate file could cause the C dirstate parser
to try to allocate an invalid amount of memory. We now properly
check and test for parsing a dirstate with invalid trailing data.
(John Arbash Meinel, #186014)
* Unexpected error responses from a smart server no longer cause the
client to traceback. (Andrew Bennetts, #263527)
* Use a Windows api function to get a Unicode host name, rather than
assuming the host name is ascii.
(Mark Hammond, John Arbash Meinel, #256550)
* ``WorkingTree4`` trees will now correctly report missing-and-new
paths in the output of ``iter_changes``. (Robert Collins)
* Updated developer documentation. (Martin Pool)
* Exporters now take 4 parameters. (Robert Collins)
* ``Tree.iter_changes`` will now return False for the content change
field when a file is missing in the basis tree and not present in
the target tree. Previously it returned True unconditionally.
* The deprecated ``Branch.abspath`` and unimplemented
``Branch.rename_one`` and ``Branch.move`` were removed. (Jelmer Vernooij)
* BzrDir.clone_on_transport implementations must now accept a stacked_on
parameter. (Aaron Bentley)
* BzrDir.cloning_metadir implementations must now take a require_stacking
parameter. (Aaron Bentley)
* ``addCleanup`` now takes ``*arguments`` and ``**keyword_arguments``
which are then passed to the cleanup callable as it is run. In
addition, addCleanup no longer requires that the callables passed to
it be unique. (Jonathan Lange)
* Fix some tests that fail on Windows because files are deleted while
still in use.
* ``selftest``'s ``--starting-with`` option can now use predefined
prefixes so that one can say ``bzr selftest -s bp.loom`` instead of
``bzr selftest -s bzrlib.plugins.loom``. (Vincent Ladeuil)
* ``selftest``'s ``--starting-with`` option now accepts multiple values.
* A new plugin interface, ``bzrlib.log.log_adapters``, has been added.
This allows dynamic log output filtering by plugins.
* ``bzrlib.btree_index`` is now available, providing a b-tree index
layer. The design is memory conservative (limited memory cache),
faster to seek (approx 100 nodes per page, gives 100-way fan out),
and stores compressed pages allowing more keys per page.
(Robert Collins, John Arbash Meinel)
* ``bzrlib.diff.DiffTree.show_diff`` now skips changes where the kind
is unknown in both source and target.
(Robert Collins, Aaron Bentley)
* ``GraphIndexBuilder.add_node`` and ``BTreeBuilder`` have been
streamlined a bit. This should make creating large indexes faster.
(In benchmarking, it now takes less time to create a BTree index than
it takes to read the GraphIndex one.) (John Arbash Meinel)
* Mail clients for `bzr send` are now listed in a registry. This
allows plugins to add new clients by registering them with
``bzrlib.mail_client.mail_client_registry``. All of the built-in
clients now use this mechanism. (Neil Martinsen-Burrell)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the bazaar