[rfc/help wanted] a nightly bzr package build

Daniel Watkins daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 19:43:55 BST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:45:44 +1000
"Martin Pool" <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
> There might be a tool to do the relatively trivial parts of this
> already, like parsing and updating the package changelog.  I haven't
> looked yet.
Something like:
  $ dch -v `date +%y%m%d`-1 "New nightly build."
would do the trick.  Though I think:
  $ dch `bzr version --short | cut -d"d" -f1`~bzr`bzr revno`-1 \
        "New nightly build."
which would produce something like '1.7~bzr3695-1', would be preferable.
We need to remove 'dev' from the version string, because '1.7' <
'1.7dev'.  If, for whatever reason, we have a 1.7 release package and a
1.7dev nightly package, we'd want to prefer the release package.

Having this sort of version string would allow us to be as granular as
we want in the future (assuming we won't want to build per-hunk
packages), rather than limiting us to once per day.

This would also fix:
>  * the version number in the packaging branch may be out of sync with
> the one in the source tree, and the one shown by bzr --version
>  * there may be no easy record of precisely what revision was packaged

I might look into doing this for Debian (from which I presume the
Ubuntu packages could be derived), but I don't know when I'll get
around to it.

Dan

--
Daniel Watkins (Odd_Bloke)