[MERGE] OSX test suite passing (well as of 2008/09/08 :)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 9 04:52:09 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel writes:

 > Is it possible to just do "en.UTF-8" ? I don't know if that is
 > considered valid, but I'd rather not be *too* US-centric.

In POSIX it's OK to pass that to setlocale(), but what will happen is
implementation- and installation-dependent.  Eg, on my Gentoo Linux
box, "en" exists, but AFAICS it's an alias for "en_US".

You also have the problem that at least up to 10.4 "Tiger" Mac OS X
often does what it damn well pleases with locales, ignoring or munging
the LANG and LC_* specs.  Giving it more leeway seems ... unwise.

I really don't see what it hurts to be as precise as possible here.