[MERGE] Dont tell people how to add ignored files every time (fixes 76616)

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Sep 1 09:27:47 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 01:18 -0500, Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:
> Currently, if a recursive add sees any files that match an ignore
> pattern, it tells how many files were ignored and tells people
> (confusingly) how they should go about adding these ignored files.
> This hand-holding isn't generally the Bazaar way.  Rather, I put the
> instructions about how to add ignored files in the help for the add
> command and put `bzr ignored` in the See Also so that people would
> know how to find out which files were ignored.

Hi Neil,

I think the help changes are good. I'm not sure about removing the
message. I would prefer the following:

  1) Make it obey -q (if it doesn't already)
  2) Add 'To see which files are currently ignored run "bzr ignored".'
     to the message.

I realise that adding more to the message is making it worse from
some people's perspective, and that there is disagreement about
this issue anyway, but I prefer this solution.

We have people ask how to find out what was ignored, so I think
the message has utility to some people.

Thanks,

James