[Tortoisebzr-developers] Introduction

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed Aug 20 18:41:54 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel пишет:
> Mark Hammond wrote:

> As always, the main problem is defining what the "right thing" is.

>> Note the general confusion between people who you would expect would know (obviously including me).  Note that last comment - it makes me concerned that, eg, exposing 'pull' on the default context menu of a checkout might be asking for trouble.
>
>> So while there is a use-case for using pull on a branch, is it a use-case Tortoise needs to cover?  This isn't a rhetorical question - I'm searching for the answer - or failing that, the most suitable middle-ground :)
>
>> Thanks,
>
>> Mark
>
> Getting the model right for TBZR is a big deal. And certainly we need to
> decide on something for a first round, and see if it works, and possibly tweak
> it later.
>
> I would be hesitant to make TBZR too minimal, at the expense of not actually
> allowing people to work the way they want to. TBZR is likely to become *the*
> face of bzr on windows. And it would be good to play to our strengths. I'm
> including the bzr mailing list, because I think this is a big enough deal to
> warrant lots of people looking at it.
>
> The best way I can think of, is to define specific models of workflow. And
> either allow TBZR to be set up explicitly in each model, or to have it
> configurable per project, or have them as separate menu entries, etc.
>
> To give some examples:
>
> 1) Windows developer with minimal VCS experience, in an office, working in a
> shared environment with high-speed access to the central server. I would have
> two recommendations here:
>
>    a) A lightweight checkout model, very similar to how svn would work. The
>       'branch' command would create a new branch on the remote server, and
>       switch, etc would be used to point their local working tree around.

IMO the problem here is that standard CLI 'branch' command is working in different way:
it creates local standalone branch, not the branch in the repo + another lightweight
checkout. When I'm trying to use such workflow I'm ended writing lightweight-branch
plugin that does what you described.

Of course TBZR is free to "reimplement" or "extend" standard bzr commands, but in
this case very high risks that liaison between std CLI and TBZR GUI will be broken,
and this will create too much confusion for users and developers.

Everything else you described have very much sense (for me).