latent bug in "hello"

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Mon Sep 1 01:21:37 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I wrote a plugin which just connects to a remote server and issues a bunch of
> "hello" requests. I use it to time connection latency and message latency.
>
> With bzr.dev (and probably bzr.1.6) it fails with:
[...]
> It turns out that I was using "get_shared_medium()" rather than
> "get_smart_medium()". With the difference being:
[...]
> I realize the method is deprecated, but it seems to be returning the wrong
> object. Is that true?

I think it probably is wrong, yes.  Rather than fix it we ought to just delete
it I think; it's been deprecated since 1.4.

(FWIW, I also wrote my own simple variant of your hello command a while ago,
forgetting you already had one: <https://launchpad.net/bzr-ping>.  Probably
there's no need for both to exist...  'bzr ping' seems like a better name than
'bzr hello' to me, though.)

-Andrew.