[MERGE] a pitiable story about i18n need in bzr at the command line

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Fri Aug 29 21:32:34 BST 2008

    Forest> Hi,
    Forest> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:25:51PM -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
    >> Viktor Nagy wrote:
    >> > I've just run bzr revert instead of bzr resolve simply because I'm not
    >> > native english and remembered only the beginning of the word whlie
    >> > typing rev[TAB], arrgh

<snip/>

    Forest> Maybe bzr should notify the user that such a backup
    Forest> has been created?  This is sort of like the
    Forest> notification that occurs when hidden files are not
    Forest> added.  It stays out of your way but provides
    Forest> discoverability for new users.

i.e:

  $ bzr revert
  backing up to dir/file.1~
  backing up to dir/subdir/another.1~

Is that less stressful for you Viktor ?

+1 on the idea as long as it obeys -q so that the actual behavior
can be enabled by:
  bzr alias revert revert -q

-1 on prompting, but 0 if controlled by a -i switch off by default

I confess that I used revert for a long time before realizing
that those damn ~ files were not emacs leaks (all my emacs
backups are redirected to ~/.emacs.d/backups for years and I was
puzzled for some weeks before I identified the bzr revert
behavior). At which point I get into the habit of always using
--no-backups ;D

Which of course bite me back when I began using bound branches
and I encounter (the infamous 'commit --local; update; oops,
revert --no-backups; arghh' well known caveat), but I'm going
off-topic :)

      Vincent