New tutorial and an intro

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 15 06:26:36 BST 2008

James Westby wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 12:58 -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>> James Westby wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 02:19 -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>> I'd be delighted to help with this. I think it would also be nice to
>> extend the workflows page to have an "in five minutes" for each of the
>> scenarios. Although it would be a lot of very similar documents, I think
>> it would help to entice new users...There are also ways of dealing with
>> this similar, but different, documents. For now I'll refrain from
>> getting excited about DITA and reusable chunks of documentation though.
>> I appreciate not everyone cares about these sorts of things with the
>> same depth of passion. *ahem*
>
> While I can't say I understand what DITA is, let alone share your
> passion for it, I think it would be good to have this.

If you're willing to sit through a short (5 minute) flash video, this
site does an excellent job of explaining the beauty of DITA. On the one
hand it's more difficult to learn as a markup language than (for
example) Wiki text formatting, on the other hand it really is quite lovely.
http://www.ditausers.org/training/DITATopics/

>> I've updated this text to:
>> change directories to your local Bazaar plugin directory
>> (~/.bazaar/plugins). This directory may not exist, if it does not exist
>> you will need to create it now.
>
> That's why I think we should create it by default, easier for
> documentation and IRC support. Not your problem though, unless
> you want to submit a patches as well.

I know this may come as a shock to those who know me, but I have been
known to have limits. I think I might draw the line at learning python
to submit a patch to improve documentation. :)

>> You are now ready to work from either branch on either computer. To push
>> the updates and immediately publish the changed files use the
>> push-and-update plugin as follows:
>>  * bzr push-and-update
>> sftp://username@servername.com/~/path/on/server/to/put/files
>> For subsequent pushes you can omit the remote path. Bazaar will remember
>> where to put the files. This command effectively automates a "push" to
>> the server and a checkout.
>
> "update" I think?

I'm unclear on what to do with this instruction...

>> Unless of course John's subsequent email shows that I've completely
>> misunderstood things again. Guidance is required. :)
>
> John made the plugin smarter so that "bzr push" will do the update
> if you have the plugin installed and the target has a working tree.
> I don't know if you think it's better to show the more explicit
> command above, or explain the "magic".

/me opts to show the magic while making it clear that magic is happening...

Thanks for your feedback!

regards,
emma