[Merged!] [MERGE][1.6] Update repo description strings

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Aug 14 15:01:44 BST 2008

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Bundle Buggy wrote:
>>> Bundle Buggy has detected this merge request.
>>> For details, see:
>>> http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/project/bzr/request/%3C20080813235228.11F4D626FB%40vm1.unixshell.com%3E
>>> Project: Bazaar
>

>> It seems Aaron's recent work to change the BB result forgot to update the
>> filter for it.
>
> Thanks for cleaning up my mess.  I've changed BB to use [Success!]
> instead of [Merged!] for now.
>
>> I was curious why Aaron chose to use [MERGED!][MERGE] rather than [MERGED!]...
>
> I didn't.  In the line "[Merged!][MERGE]", "[Merged!]" is a prefix that
> is prepended to the existing subject line.  The existing subject line
> may contain "[Merge" or "[Merge/RFC" or "Patch", etc.
>
>> I also wonder if it isn't because he is using '\[MERGE' as the regex, rather
>> than '\[MERGE\>' as the regex.
>
> FWICT, r'\[MERGE\>' will only match the string "[MERGE>".
> <_sre.SRE_Match object at 0xb7d22950>
>
> Aaron

So, it seems that Python's regex engine doesn't support "\>" and "\<" which
are: match at the end of a word, and match at the beginning of a word,
respectively.

However, it does have '\b' which is "match at a word boundary".

>>> re.match(r'\[Merge\b', '[Merge]')
<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x81a53d8>
>>> re.match(r'\[Merge\b', '[Merge>]')
<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x8393330>
>>> re.match(r'\[Merge\b', '[Merged]')

Anyway [Success!] is fine, but if you prefer [Merged!] the '\b' is a simple
way to fix it.

I really like \> and \<, and use them all the time in vim and grep (actually,
I learned it from vim, because when you do a * or # search, it searches for
\<foo\>).
It's a shame python doesn't have it, but at least it has \d rather than
[[:digit:]].